MY SENSE ORGANS
From DEP-SSA WiKi
(Ms. Monita, Lecturer DIET; Ms. Yashika Bhutani, Lecturer DIET)
MY SENSE ORGANS...'I RESPOND TO THINGS AROUND ME WITH...
The five senses of the human being enable them to interact with environment in an amazing way. Learning about the five senses is fun.through eyes you see the beautiful nature, can watch and listen cartoons clippings and movies; you can enjoy your favorite cookies and food also you feel the touch of your lovable things .
In scientific terminology we can define "sense organs" as faculties by which outside information is received for responses.this is accomplished by the effect of a particular stimulus on a specialized organ, which then transmits impulses to the brain via a nerve or nerves.
After going through this module you will be able to:
- Identify the sense organs in our body
- Describe what each organ does for the body
Sense organ: An Introduction
Our senses are the physical means by which all living things see, hear, smell and touch (feel).Human beings get all of their knowledge from their senses. That is why our senses are so important.
Types of Sense Organs
Human beings have five sense organs, that enable them to perceive the information of their environment in the following manner:
A sense by which sound waves are perceived by the organ of hearing- the ear. the physical stimulus of auditory sensation is the vibration of some material object, which is transmitted from the object to the ear.
Is the ability to see the features of various objects present in our environment such as colour, shapes, size etc. Vision begins with light rays bounding off the surface of objects.
A sense by which smells are perceived. the nose is the sense organ responsible for the sense of smell with the help of olfactory nerves.
A sense by which four gustatory qualities either sweetness, sourness, saltiness and bitterness of a substance are received. Taste is determined by the receptors known as taste buds which are present on our tongue.
A sense by which the body perceives contact with substances. in humans touch is perceived by the nerve endings in the skin. this sense in broader terms helps the humans to feel the basics/features of infinite objects present in our surroundings.
let us watch a video based on sense organs
=Uses of Sense Organs
- EAR: through which we can hear i.e. ‘ear’;we can hear very loud sounds and even hear very low pitch sounds also.
- EYE: Eye is the sense organ which helps us to most to receive the information about our environment. with the help of eyes we can see various things around us.
- NOSE: through which we can smell;It helps us to smell the smells we like and the smells we don't like.
- SKIN: through which we can feel things we touch;The skin is the largest sense organ which covers our full body.
- TONGUE: Tongue is the sense organ which helps to perceive tastes like sweet, salty, sour and bitter.
- RHYME: MY FIVE SENSE ORGANS
- I have eyes I can see
- With my ears I can hear
- I have a nose I can smell
- With my body I can feel
- And with my tongue I can taste
After going through the introduction about sense organs let us have a briefing through power point presentation given below:
Activity Plan based on five senses
Five stations around the room.
Station 1 - Touch:
Four mystery boxes,with a hole in each one and four objects (hammer, stuffed toy, tennis ball, pencil). Without looking in it ,children must identify the objects and naming it accordingly
Station 2 - Taste:
four bowls, each bowl has different flavor say of temarind, toffee,neem leaf and salty potato chips. Bowls are pre-labeled by teacher 1, 2, 3, 4. Kids have to taste ONE of each and write down what the flavors are.
Station 3 - Sight:
showing some clipping from their surrounding and ask the children to identify various objects on the basis of colors, shapes etc.
Station 4 - Smell:
Four containers having objects (like rose flower, onion,lemon etc.) with diffrent smells covered wid lid having an hole are given to the children to identify the smells without looking in these boxes Students must identify scent and write answers on worksheet.
Station 5 - Hearing:
Four sets of headphones hooked up to tape players. Each tape has different sound (cow, jackhammer, bell, motorcycle). Students must listen and write down answer on worksheet.
1. Introduction: (Assuming there are 20 children in the class) Start by grouping children into five groups of four.
2. Briefly describe each station and assign groups to start at station.
3. Give groups enough time for each child to do each thing at the station. Then announce groups to rotate once. Once all the stations have been visited have children sit down and fill out the back of the worksheet, talking about which organs are used for which senses.
Activity-I Pick out five or six objects of different texture(like a cotton, spoon, silk cloth piece, ice cubes and sand paper) Have child close eyes. Let the child describe what they feel( hard, soft, cold and hot etc.) Activity-II collect different objects placed these objects in different small boxes (toy car, block, small ball, scissors, toothbrush, fork, comb and eraser). All the boxes would be numbered. without looking in the boxes the children will identify these objects and will place the picture of what they think is on the "Guessing Board Chart" on the correct corresponding number.
Identifying different kinds of sounds: record several sounds for example: running water, door bell, whistling, telephone ring, crunching food, sound of birds and animals)
Choose several things with distinct smells (lemon, cookies, flowers, some of fruits and vegetables.
Collecting eatables of different tastes (lemon for sour, candy for sweetness etc.)
Showing some animated clipping and asking them to list out the objects and activities inculcated in those clippings.
For more information about the Sense Organs you may refer to the following site
SELF CHECK EXERCISE:
Exercise 1 which sense do we use for the following situations:
- eating your favourite food:
- someone is whispering to you:
- when using a mirror in the morning
- when purchasing a perfume
1. What body part do you use to see?________________________
2. What body part do you use to hear?________________________
3. What does your skin do?________________________
4. Is your tongue the ONLY thing for taste? If not, what else?________________________
5. Which sense do you think is the strongest? (No wrong answers, just explain)________________________
Why don't our eyes work in the dark? Explain:________________________
sense organs play the role of receptors for our body to understand and adjust with our environment.sight help us to visualize the world around us; ears help us to perceive to receive knowledge in auditory form; nose helps us to smell and as well as to breath; tongue help us to taste through which we can differentiate among various kinds of flavours; and our skin help us to feel the touch of various things.